Saturday, May 26, 2007

Relay for Life

Well, Fort Smith successfully held another Relay for Life. The Relay is a fundraiser for the Canadian Cancer Society. Our team, the Fort Smith Furys, helped raise over approx. $6500.00. We were one of the three teams that raised the most money.

The event started at 7:00 pm with a opening ceremony as well as having the Cancer survivors walk the first lap. Throughout the evening there were different activities going on, including a luminary sale (to put in memory of or in honor of), a silent auction, quizzes, swimming pool being open, as well as many other activities throughout the night.

I entered a few silent auction items and I actually won a couple. One of the items I won was a round trip for 2 from Hay River to Yellowknife on Buffalo Airways. As this is something that Kelly really wants to do before we leave the Territories, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity.

Although I didn't make it through the whole night (I only made it to 1:00 am) I am sure the rest of the night went really well. The relay ended around 7 am this morning and Kelly said that he could hear the ending from our bedroom. Of course I was sleeping like a baby, so I didn't hear any of it. It is definitely an experience that I would not like to have missed. It is amazing how the community can come together to help out for a wonderful cause.

No comments: